Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Emma Smith Points Out Scene

Go down

Emma Smith Points Out Scene

Post by Karen on Fri 18 Jul 2014 - 16:42


Mr. Baxter, the East Middlesex coroner, held an inquiry at the London Hospital, Whitechapel, touching the death of Emma Elizabeth Smith, aged 45 years, a widow, lately living in George Street, Spitalfields, who is alleged to have died from injuries received at the hands of some persons unknown, who brutally assaulted her when returning home along the Whitechapel Road on Bank Holiday night.
Mary Russell, of 18, George Street, stated that the address was a common lodging-house, and the deceased had been a lodger there for some months. Witness acted as deputy. When she returned home one night she told witness that she had been thrown out of a window. When she had had drink the deceased acted like a mad woman. On Bank Holiday the deceased left the house in the evening, apparently in good health. She returned home between four and five o'clock the next morning severely injured, and she said she had been shockingly treated by some men. The witness took her at once to the hospital. Deceased further said that she was coming along Osborne Street, Whitechapel, when she was set upon and her money taken from her. On the way to the hospital deceased pointed out the spot, and said she did not know the men, nor could she describe them. Witness believed that the statements made by the deceased were to be relied upon.
By the Coroner: Deceased had often come home with black eyes that men had given her. She was not so drunk as not to know what she did.
Mr. George Haslip, house-surgeon, deposed that deceased was admitted suffering from severe injuries. She had been drinking, but was not intoxicated. She had a very serious rupture of a recent date, and also some bruises on her head. The right ear was torn and bleeding. She told witness that at half-past one that morning she was going by Whitechapel Church when she saw some men coming. She crossed the road to get out of their way, but they followed her. They assaulted her, robbed her of all the money she had, and then commenced to outrage her. She could not say if they used a knife. She could not describe them, except that one looked about 19. After her admission she slowly sank, and died at nine o'clock on Wednesday morning. The deceased stated that she had not seen any of her friends for ten years.
The Coroner said that from the medical evidence it was clear that the woman had been barbarously murdered. Such a dastardly assault he had never heard of, and it was impossible to imagine a more brutal case.
The jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against some person or persons unknown.

Source: Denbighshire Free Press, 14 April 1888, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum