Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Mary Connolly

Go down

Mary Connolly

Post by Karen on Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 8:13



Our representative, telegraphing this morning says: - The town of Abergavenny is in a very excited state by reason of the shocking tragedy of Friday evening, and the feeling has been intensified by the news of the surrender of the man
supposed to have committed the murder. Copies of the Western Mail of this morning were quickly brought up by persons desirous of acquainting themselves with the exact state of affairs. The police officials continue to exhibit an absurd amount
or reticence, and are apparently desirous of enshrouding their proceedings in mystery, as they refuse any information to representatives of the press. The general belief was that the man in custody would be brought before the magistrates at the
local police-court this morning, but it is now said that nothing will be done in this respect until tonight, when the prisoner will, in all probability, appear at the adjourned coroner's inquiry, which is fixed for seven o'clock, at the police-station.
It is stated that the prisoner has maintained a quiet, sullen demeanour since he surrendered himself yesterday morning and has not made any further communication either in the nature of a confession or otherwise to the police. Up to the present - about half-past
ten this morning - five men and a woman have arrived at the police-station in response to a summons from the authorities, in order to be confronted with the prisoner for the purpose of identification. The proceedings were conducted in private, there being present Superintendent Freeman
and one or two other officials. It is rumoured that the murdered girl was seen in the company of two or three different men on Friday afternoon and evening, and a large number of witnesses have been instructed to appear at the inquest tonight, their evidence being expected to clear up one or two
points concerning which the authorities are at present somewhat doubtful.

Identification of the Prisoner.

The identification of the prisoner was concluded shortly before eleven o'clock. He was brought up from the cells wherein he had been confined since his surrender, and placed in the company of several other prisoners. One by one the five witnesses - four men and a woman - were taken into the room where the prisoners were,
and all of them without any hesitation pointed out the accused man as the person they saw with the murdered woman within an hour of the time her dead body was found by the brakesman Wilkinson in the Hather-leigh-road. The man's name is William Edwards, and he is described as being thirty years of age, 5ft. 7in. in height - his
build being proportionate to his stature - with light brown hair and moustache and grey eyes. The police, in the course of their inquiries into his antecedents have ascertained that he is a native of Llanbista, a village near Penybont, in Radnorshire. As was stated in the Western Mail this morning, Edwards has served in the Army,
and went throught the Egyptian Campaign with the 53rd Shropshire Regiment, being invalided home after the war. His mode of life since that time has been very irregular. He has tramped about different parts of the country obtaining work for short periods at various labouring jobs. He is well known in the hill districts, as it is there he
has spent the major portion of the past few years. When identified by the witnesses he made no sign, but maintained the morose and stolid attitude which has all along characterised him.

The following appeared in today's Western Mail - One of the most appalling, cold-blooded, and, apparently, objectless murders that has ever taken place in this district was perpetrated at the little agricultural town of Abergavenny on Friday evening. The circumstances of the case are of a peculiarly atrocious character, inasmuch as the victim
was a young girl, who, though not possessed of the brightest records, was regarded as an inoffensive, cheerful person, ready and willing at any time to give any help she could render to any of her friends in need. Unfortunately, she was her own enemy, for she formed one in the army of the fallen, and it is to passion, tinctured with revenge of the lowest
and most depraved type that can be traced the impulse which nerved the murderer to strike the blow which at once deprived his companion of life. The name of the murdered girl is Mary Connolly, a single woman between 21 and 22 years of age, daughter of John Connolly, of Pant-street, Abergavenny. The father of the girl is a respectable working man, and is well known
in the town. The girl was an only child, and her mother died some five or six years ago. Up to that time she appears to have been steady and well conducted, but with the loss of the mother's restraining influence for good the girl took to drink and an immoral course of life. Since the first step downward she appears to have rapidly gone "from bad to worse." Frequently
she has been in the hands of the police for drunkenness and disorderly conduct, and during a comparatively short period over a score of convictions have been recorded against her at the Abergavenny Police-court. In fact, "'twas but a step from gaol to death," as on Friday, the very day the murder was committed, she came home from Usk, where she had been serving a month's
imprisonment for an offence similar to those which had previously cost her her liberty. She arrived in Abergavenny about eleven o'clock in the morning, and from that time until evening she was seen by several persons in company with a man who is believed to have committed the murder. Various conflicting reports are abroad as to this man. Some say he was of gentlemanly appearance,
and others that he was "a rough-looking fellow," but none of those who give the less favourable description ever gave a thought to murder.
The first intimation that such a deed had taken place was heard in the town about half-past eight o'clock on Friday evening. Quickly the rumour ran that murder had been committed, and at first the reports, as usual, were greatly exaggerated and distorted. At first it was not known who the victim was; then came the news that a woman had been found "cut to pieces." Wild and startling stories
were circulated to the effect that "Jack the Ripper" had been at work and, absurd as it may seem, the statement found credence in some quarters, and with the illiterate the foul deed was believed to be the work of the Whitechapel fiend. Though, unhappily, it proved to be true that murder had been perpetrated, subsequent investigations showed that the deed had not been accompanied by such ghastly
mutilation of the victim as was at first rumoured. It was a few minutes after eight o'clock when the horrible discovery was made. A man named Edward Wilkins, a brakesman in the employ of the London and North Western Railway Company, who lives at 16, Stanhope-street, was walking along the Brecon-road, a quiet thoroughfare leading into the country. He had gone as far as the point where a newly-made lane
called Hatherleigh-road runs into Brecon-road, on the left going from the town, and he was just about turning back for home when he heard a slight noise. It was a calm, still night. Pausing for a moment, Wilkins listened intently, and again he heard a deep, stertorous breathing or moan, as if someone was in pain. It was, of course, quite dark at that hour, and as the nearest lamp was a distance of 50 yards
away on the main road, nothing which could give utterance to such moans could be seen. Thinking it was probable some man the worse for drink had fallen on the road and gone to sleep, Wilkins turned into Hatherleigh-road to ascertain if this was the case. He had gone barely half a dozen yards when, through the darkness of the night, he could dimly see, as he himself describes it, "a black heap of something"
lying in the gutter almost immediately opposite where he stood. An undefinable feeling of dread came over him that he was in the presence of a dead body, and crossing the road, which is but a few yards wide, he bent down, struck a match, and, to his horror, the fitful light revealed the face of a woman with her throat cut from ear to ear, and her head all but severed from the neck. Her face was covered with blood, and the ghastly fluid had also saturated the clothes she was wearing.
The murdered woman was lying on her back, her face, of course, being upwards. Her left arm was extended, while her right lay by her side. Wilkins at once became alive to the necessity of giving information of his discovery, and started down the lane with the intention of going to the police-station when he met two men with two young women. To one of the men he told what he had seen, and asked him to go with him to the body. The man did so, and then, by Wilkins's request, said he would remain there until the police came.
Wilkins set off at a run, but before he reached the police-station he met Police-constable Powell, told him that a woman was lying on Hatherleigh-road with her throat cut, and took the officer to the spot. Powell then went for assistance, leaving Wilkins in charge.
The news of the discovery had by this time spread, and when Superintendent Freeman, Sergeant Capper, and a couple of constables arrived, together with Dr. Elmes Steel, a crowd of spectators were on the spot. The man Wilkins, when he first saw the body, thought he heard one deep choking breath drawn, and also believed that he saw the head droop to one side, but when Dr. Steel made an examination he found the fatal blow had done its work and life had fled. Messengers were hurriedly despatched for lights and by their aid Dr. Steel made a further examination.
Death had evidently taken place but a few minutes, as the face of the girl was warm, though her hands were cold. Evidently blood had flowed from the ghastly cut until the decapitated body was almost drained of the vital fluid, for when the doctor made his examination it was only oozing from the girl's throat. As the horror-stricken spectators stood around the body, one of them noticed that the left hand of the girl was clenched as if she had grasped some article before she died. Gently the arm was raised and straightened and the hand opened, and then a shilling dropped to the ground - a token of great significance to those who knew the victim's failing.
A hurdle was procured, and the policemen carried the body to the mortuary attached to the union workhouse, which is but a short distance from the place. There Dr. Elmes Steel and his assistant, Dr. W.D. Steel, made further examination into the extent of the injuries. It was seen that the death wound had been caused by a knife or some other keen instrument, such as a razor, which must have been plunged with terrible force into the victim's throat. The gash was deep and wide, the windpipe being severed and the left jugular vein cut through. It was quickly decided by the doctors that the wound had not been self-inflicted, and thus the circumstances pointed to murder.
Moreover, it was evident that there could not have been any great struggling between the murdered woman and her assailant, inasmuch as the body showed no marks of violence with the exception of a slight abrasion or scratch on the left leg.
The poor victim of the fiendish attack being beyond aid, the police turned their attention to the discovery of the perpetrator. A reporter of the Western Mail made inquiries on Sunday, and succeeded in following the doings of the girl from the time she arrived at Abergavenny on Friday morning up to within a few minutes of the discovery of her dead body. He ascertained that the girl came home cheerful and full of good spirits, apparently in no way downcast by her imprisonment. As soon as she came into the town she obtained the key of her father's house, and met her father when he came home to dinner. She was in the house when he went out, shortly before two o'clock, but went out into the town during the afternoon,
and was seen walking about the streets with a man, described as being young and of stout build. The couple visited one or two public-houses, and at half-past seven at night her father saw them talking together at the bottom of Pant-street, where he lives. Shortly after this the landlord of the Somerset Inn (Mr. C.T. Powell) had a curious and significant experience. The Somerset Inn, it should be stated, is situated at the spot where the Merthyr-road intersects Victoria-street, and is about ten minutes' walk from the place where the body was found.
Mr. Powell and his wife are highly respectable, and their house is well conducted. It is necessary to give prominence to this fact, as it is believed that the inn was the last house the murdered woman and her companion entered on the Friday night, and it is said in some quarters that the woman was then the worse for drink. Our reporter accordingly saw both Mr. and Mrs. Powell on Sunday, and learnt that the rumour that Mary Connolly and a man were in the house as stated was correct. Mr. Powell, it appears, was serving in the bar about a quarter to eight o'clock when the girl and some man entered the little passage leading to the bar. The girl came to the window of the bar and asked for two pennyworth of whisky and a glass of beer.
This particular window of the bar is only a few inches wide, and Mr. Powell could only see the girl, as the man drew himself up against the wall as if he did not wish to be seen. Seeing that the girl was sober, Mr. Powell remarked to his wife, "It is all right; you can serve them." Mrs. Powell accordingly did so, and noticed the man hand 3-1/2d. to the girl, with which she paid for the drink. They were laughing and talking at the time, but the man spoke in a very low tone, apparently being desirous of not letting those inside the bar hear what he said. They were only in the house a minute or two, and neither Mr. Powell nor his wife could get a look at the man. After leaving the Somerset Inn the couple appeared to have crossed into the Mount Pleasant-road.
This road leads into Union lane, and about eight o'clock the man and woman were seen in the last-named road by Mr. James Whitney, one of the Marquess of Abergavenny's gardeners at Neville-court, and also by Mrs. Davies (wife of Mr. William Davies), who curiously enough, lives only a few yards from the place where the fatal blow was struck. The couple were sauntering along, their arms linked around each other's waists, and the woman appeared to be particularly merry. The man, however, was evidently of a sullen and morose temperament, and was not replying to his companion's banter.
At the top of St. Helen's-road, which leads out of Union-lane, Mr. Whitney noticed the couple stop for a minute, and saw the man hold up his left hand as if showing something to his companion, as she remarked, "It is very pretty." They were walking in the direction of the grounds of Neville Court, and Mr. Whitney kept them under his notice in order to stop them if they manifested any intention of entering the grounds. They did not do so, however, but turned down Hatherleigh-road, and then Mr. Whitney proceeded home, thinking, as he remarked to our reporter - who saw him in the marquess's grounds on Sunday afternoon - that he had nothing to do with what took place there. This part of the town is extremely quiet and secluded. The land is let in allotments, and there are but two houses in the locality.
Had the murderer's object been to achieve his fell purpose he could not have chosen a more quiet and less-frequented part within so short a distance of the town. The couple sauntered down the road, or lane would be a more fitting appellation, as it is but a newly-opened thoroughfare. About twenty yards down a roughly-made tool shed has just been erected in one of the allotments. On the night of Friday the shed had no door, and the woman, or man, apparently knowing of this, had determined to make use of it. They crept through the wire fence which surrounds the land, and made their way to the shed. What transpired here can only be imagined, but everything pointed to the assumption that the murder was committed at this place. Although no sounds were heard by the inhabitants of the two houses, which are not more than thirty yards away,
it is, believed that the couple quarrelled and that, fired with rage, the man took from his pocket a razor, as it turns out to be, and with one swift, keen blow plunged the weapon into her throat, and inflicted the mortal wound.
Immediately he realised what he had done he rushed from the spot and made across the adjoining land in the direction of the Marquess of Abergavenny's estate. As he was entering the gate he was seen by Mrs. Davies, housekeeper at Neville Court, who asked him who he was. He muttered something inaudible and then went down the field by the hedge. His unfortunate victim in the meantime was rapidly bleeding to death. Blood was pouring from the ghastly wound in her throat and bespattering the cabbages growing at her feet. She staggered across the plot of land, her course marked by blood stains, and succeeded in scrambling through the fence into the lane. She proceeded down the road, probably with the intention of seeking help, but none came, and exhausted by the terrible loss of blood, she fell in the gutter but half a dozen yards from Brecon-road, and died.


On Sunday afternoon a representative of the Western Mail saw the man, named Edward Wilkins, who discovered the body. In reply to questions, he said that how he came to be placed in such a prominent position in connection with the tragedy was because on Friday night he happened to be going for a walk near the spot where the body was found. Continuing he said: "I left home about 7:45, sauntered about the neighbouring streets for a short time, and then strolled down Hatherleigh-lane, but a short distance away. I had got as far as the end of Hatherleigh-lane when I thought it about time I should be going home, as I was expecting a message about going out with the train. I was just turning round to go back when I heard a kind of deep breathing."
"What was it like?" asked the reporter.
"Well," replied Wilkins, "it seemed to be a sound as if someone was in pain."
"Did you hear it a second time?"
"Yes; I listened again, and a second time I heard the sound. On this occasion it seemed to be a groan."
"What did you do?"
"I turned into the lane, and went in the direction of where I heard the sound, and I had gone but a few yards when I could see something lying on the side of the road."
"What do you mean by something?"
"Well, it looked like a black heap, and when I got opposite to it I thought it was somebody dead. I had some matches in my pocket, so I struck a light, and on looking down could see that it was a female with a big wound in her throat."
"What was the first thing you did after that?"
"Well, I heard someone coming down the road, and I had the presence of mind to know that I ought to draw attention to what I had seen. I went a few yards up the road, leaving the body just as I had found it, the clothes disarranged and the legs bare, when I met two young men and two young women. I called to one of the men - I don't know his name - and said, "I want you a minute." He said, "What's the matter." I replied, "There's a woman in the lane with her throat cut." I then asked him to come back with me to the place, and he did so. We struck a match, and I showed him what I had found. I asked him to stay in charge whilst I fetched a policeman, and off I went, intending to go to the police-station, but before I had gone far I met Police-constable Powell and told him there was a woman lying in Hatherleigh-lane with her throat cut. He came back with me to the spot, and when he had seen the woman
he left me in charge whilst he went for assistance and the doctor, I stayed there until the doctor and the policeman came."
"Was there much blood about?" asked the reporter.
"Yes," replied Wilkins; "the woman's face was covered with blood, and her clothes were saturated with it. There wasn't much on the ground, because I think her clothes had soaked it up. I couldn't see the woman when I first went into the lane, because it is only a new road and is not lighted. There is no lamp nearer than about 50 yards away, on the Brecon-road."
"What did you do when the police came?"
"They took the body away and I went home, and up to now I have not heard anything further. I was not at the inquest last night, because I was out with the train."


A representative of the Western Mail had an interview with the murdered woman's father, Jeremiah Connolly, at 3, Pant-lane, on Sunday. Connolly, who bears the name of being a hard-working old fellow, is, as may be imagined, dreadfully upset by the events of the past two or three days. In answer to inquiries he said his daughter had been away from home for a month at Usk, doing a term of imprisonment, and was released on Friday morning. He went to his work at The Willows as usual, and on returning to dinner at one o'clock or shortly afterwards saw her for the first time. He describes her as looking pallid and ill after her incarceration, but quite cheerful. Prior to that, she had been to the house of her uncle, Patrick Connolly, at No. 11. Pant-lane, where she obtained the key of her father's house.
The old man had his dinner, and left home at about a quarter to two. His daughter was still there and appeared all right, and was certainly not under the influence of drink. On leaving work at The Willows in the evening he went straight home. Deceased was not there at that time, but was in the house of a neighbour named Holland. He next saw her at about six o'clock, when she was talking to a man, described as being young and of stout build, at the bottom of the street. He saw nothing more of her until about half-past seven o'clock. At that time she was still talking, as he believes, to the same man, at the end of Pant-lane. Connolly did not take any particular notice of the man, and is unable to give anything like a detailed description of his appearance. The two appeared to be talking together in a perfectly friendly fashion, and there was nothing, as far as he could judge, in the conversation of the pair
to lead him to suppose that the man contemplated the commission of such a fearful crime. He did not see her alive afterwards.
Patrick Connolly, the deceased's uncle, told our representative that the first intimation he had of the affair was at about nine o'clock on Friday evening. He was smoking a pipe in the house when his daughter, who is employed by a Mrs. Powell, a laundress, at Stanhope-street, rushed in and exclaimed, "Where's Jerry?' (deceased's father), and then said, "Polly Connolly is killed." Previous to this the girl had been to the scene of the tragedy, but could not see the body as there were so many people about. Connolly at once rushed off to the police-station, which is not far distant, being closely followed by his brother (the murdered girl's father), but there was only a police recruit in the station at the time, and he failed to get any information. He then went to the workhouse mortuary, to which by that time the body had been removed, but permission to view the body was withheld by Superintendent Freeman. Connolly, however,
saw the body on Sunday morning, and was painfully affected by the sad spectacle.


John Wyatt, a plasterer, living in a street opposite Pant-lane (and to whom the murdered woman was well known), says that on the evening in question he saw her talking to a man of about 28 years of age. The man was dressed fairly respectably in dark clothes, with a hard, black hat. He was a "slingy" fellow, of stoutish build, and remained about the place for some time. Wyatt, who thinks he would have no difficulty in identifying him, says the first he heard of the occurrence was on the following morning, and his thoughts at once reverted to the individual whom he had seen in her company on the previous evening. Similar statements have been made by a woman named Holland, a widow with two children, living hard by, with whom deceased was on friendly terms, and who says she saw her in company of a man whose description tallies with that given by Wyatt on Friday evening.


The inquest was opened in the board-room of the Union Workhouse, Abergavenny, at six o'clock on Saturday evening, before Mr. J.B. Walford, the coroner for the district. There was a jury of thirteen, the foreman being Mr. J.G. Thomas, builder.
The jury, having been sworn, proceeded with the coroner to view the body of the unfortunate young girl, which was lying in the workhouse mortuary a few yards from the board-room.
On returning to the room wherein the inquiry was to be held,
The Coroner addressed the jury, and said it was not proposed to complete the inquiry that evening, it having been impossible at such short notice to get all the witnesses together. He, therefore, proposed to take evidence of identification and of the finding of the body and of the injuries received, and then to adjourn to some convenient day to be arranged.
The first witness called was
Superintendent Freeman, of the Abergavenny police, who deposed that about 8:30 on Friday evening he was called to the Hatherleigh-road, a thoroughfare leading out of Brecon-road. At a point some few yards from the Brecon-road he found the body of the deceased lying face upwards and lengthways in the gutter. The body was warm, and the girl appeared quite dead. He at once sent for a doctor and left the body lying as he found it until the doctor arrived. The dress of the deceased was pulled up above her knees, and she had no covering on her head. Witness sent for lights, and when they were brought he made further examination, and identified the deceased as Mary Connolly, the daughter of John Connolly, of Tudor-street, Abergavenny. The deceased was known as a prostitute. Blood was oozing from a large wound in her neck. On the arrival of the doctor the body was removed to the mortuary at the union workhouse.
Dr. Elmes Yelverton Steel, who resides on the Brecon-road, was the next witness called. He deposed: I was called to the Hatherleigh-road, to the spot indicated by Superintendent Freeman, and arrived there about nine p.m. It was dark, and there were several people around.
I saw the body of a woman lying on the ground. I could see that the deceased was lying with her back in the gutter, but I deferred making a further examination until the arrival of lights. I then saw that she was lying on her back, face upwards. Her left arm was extended, and her right
arm was by her side. I also saw that there was a large gash in her throat, and her clothing was saturated with blood in front. Blood and dirt were on her hands and face. She was quite dead. Her face was warm; her hands were cold. Blood was not flowing from the wound, but was slightly oozing therefrom.
I directed and superintended the removal of the body to the mortuary, and, following there, made a further examination. I then found that the gash in the throat was very deep. Her clothing - that is, the upper part - was not in any way disarranged, and her dress was pinned together, not buttoned. Her clothing
seemed to consist of a dress, apron, and chemise. I think she had been dead only a short time. She might have been dead an hour or a little more. This morning I made a further examination of the body. I found that the gash had severed the windpipe and all the tissues in front of the vertebrae, and had cut through
the ligaments and lining membrane of the bone itself. The great arteries on each side of the neck were not severed, but the left jugular vein was cut. The wound was sufficient to have caused death, and had the appearance of having been inflicted by a large, sharp knife. I don't think it could have been self-inflicted.
I found no other wounds or marks of violence, but there was a slight abrasion or mere scratch on the left leg. The body was well nourished.
Police-constable Robert Thomas said: About five o'clock on Saturday morning I examined the spot where the body was found and the neighbourhood and also the shed in the garden adjoining Hatherleigh-road and separated from it by a barbed wire fence, shed being about 220 yards on the road towards the union from the spot where the
body was found. I found blood on the ground near the shed, and also found blood bespattered on the cabbages close by which were growing in the garden. I found marks of blood also more or less at intervals from the shed to the fence and along the road to within about 50 yards of where the body was found. I noticed a great many footprints
on the ground on the one side of the shed, and some of the footprints were like men's footprints and some like women's. The shed was in course of erection, and was not completed this morning, there being no door upon it; but it has since been completed, and locked up. I examined the interior of the shed on my arrival this morning, and found no marks
or anything to assist me inside. I found a woman's hat about halfway between the shed and the wire fence. The deceased had apparently gone through the wire fence.
The Coroner, addressing the jury, said he thought this was as far as the inquiry should be carried that evening, and, after consultation with the jurors, adjourned the inquest to seven o'clock this (Monday) evening, when it will be resumed at the Police-station, Abergavenny, when further evidence will be forthcoming. He also directed Dr. Steel to make a post-mortem
examination of the body in the meantime.


On Saturday evening Police-sergeant Davies effected the arrest at Abergavenny of a man giving the name of William Saunders on suspicion of being the murderer. Circumstances at first seemed to clearly point in the direction of Saunders being the man wanted for the crime. His dress and appearance tallied to a remarkable extent with the description given of the supposed murderer, and, strange
as it may seem, the suspect admitted having been in the company of the woman on Friday afternoon, a few hours before she met with her sad end. Another apparent link in the chain of evidence was that the accused had between the time of the murder and his arrest donned another suit of clothes, and effected a good deal of alteration in his personal appearance by being shaved. These untoward circumstances
certainly warranted suspicion, but he was, however, able to satisfy the police as to his movements and bona fides. Complete vindication was furnished by the fact of the surrender of another man, who has confessed to being the perpetrator of the atrocious crime. Saunders is, however, detained in custody on a charge of deserting from the Army.


Quite a new turn was given to affairs on Sunday morning by the unexpected surrender of a man into custody as being the murderer of the unfortunate deceased. This was at a little after five o'clock, at a time when only one constable was in charge of the police-station, Sergeant Davies having not long before gone off duty. The man, who gave the name of William Edwards, was subsequently formally received into custody
by Police-sergeant Capper, and was afterwards charged by Superintendent Freeman, when he made no reply. Edwards, who is described as a man about 30 years of age, has the appearance of a labourer. Upon going to the station first of all he at once made a "clean breast" of his connection with the crime, and indicated the place at which he had concealed the razor with which he had accomplished his fell purpose. During the day
and exhaustive search was made for this instrument, the efforts of the officers engaged being successful. Prisoner is evidently a man of few words, and of sullen, downcast appearance. He is not an entire stranger to the town, having visited it on former occasions. So far as is known, he has no criminal record. He is about 5ft. 8in. in height, and of stout build. The razor was found about two miles away from the scene of the murder,
in quite an opposite direction. Prisoner, who is an ex-Army man, was seen drinking in the town on the day of the murder. He professes to be unable to give any account of his movements between the time of the murder and his surrender, and in taking up this position he may be quite sincere, as he does not appear to be by any means well acquainted with the town. He will, no doubt, be brought up at Abergavenny Police-court today (Monday),
but it is probable the proceedings will be purely formal, as a remand will be asked for pending the finding of the coroner's jury. General satisfaction was expressed throughout the town on Sunday evening at the fact that prisoner had surrendered, thus doing away, for the present at all events, with the mystery attaching to the identity of one of the chief personages connected with a crime which has, fortunately, had no previous parallel
in the annals of Abergavenny.


The following is a copy of the police description of the supposed murderer: -
Police-station, Abergavenny, 17th of September, 1892.
Description of a man wanted here on suspicion of murdering Mary Connolly, a prostitute, on the night of the 16th inst.
Name unknown; age, about 30 years; about 5ft. 7in. high; stout figure, fresh complexion, light hair, light moustache; has lost front teeth.
Dressed in dark coat, vest, and trousers, hard black bowler hat, stand-up collar, and light tie. He is of respectable appearance, and is supposed to belong to the Hills. He may be a groom.
Please cause immediate inquiries to be made for the above man, and, if found, information to be sent to
Superintendent W.C. FREEMAN

Source: Evening Express, 19 September 1892, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum