Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Certificates to Dr. Tumblety

Go down

Certificates to Dr. Tumblety

Post by Karen on Tue 21 Jun 2011 - 9:36

[img][/img]

Title: News to the afflicted! Certificates from the citizens of Montreal to Dr. Tumblety.
Publisher: From Senecal & Daniel steam presses, [1857?].
Control Number from IRIS: 0002724545
Link: http://collections.banq.qc.ca/ark:/52327/1935102

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Certificates to Dr. Tumblety

Post by Karen on Tue 21 Jun 2011 - 10:26

Transcription of above certificates:

NEWS TO THE AFFLICTED!!!
CERTIFICATES
FROM THE CITIZENS OF MONTREAL
TO
DR. TUMBLETY.

Transcription of first column:

The following Certificates were sworn before His Worship the Mayor Henry Starnes, Esq., on Tuesday; the 8th of December 1857.

Montreal, Dec. 7, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been afflicted with Typhus Fever four weeks. Having been reduced to very great feebleness I began to discover the alarming symptoms of death, and my physicians told me that they could do no more for me. I was recommended by some of my friends to send for Dr. Tumblety, I did so, and the effect of his medicines on my worn and diseased system was like magic. I am now enjoying such health as I have not known for years, and I have been at my work at Mr. Brush's Foundry, King Street, Griffintown, this last three weeks.

AUGUST MAESER.
Nazareth Street, Griffintown
Sworn before me this 8th day of Dec. 1857,
HENRY STARNES, MAYOR

MONTREAL, Dec 7th, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been afflicted with Cancer on my lip for upwards of two years, which the Doctors of the City failed to cure, till I applied to DR. TUMBLETY, who has cured me of it in six weeks. It is now about one year alone I applied to Dr. Reddy, and he told me that it was a slow cancer. Dr. McDonald told me it would have to be cut out, and that it might cause my death, therefore I applied to Dr. Tumblety, who has cured me and saved my life.

ELLEN FAGAN
Sworn before me, this 8th day of December 1857
HENRY STARNES, Mayor

FROM THE MONTREAL HERALD.

In every case of disease the Doctor seems to be triumphant, and the medical faculty must acknowledge the following certificates:

MONTREAL, Dec. 9th, 1857.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's."

DR. TUMBLETY, - I am indebted to you for such a cure as it would be ungenerous to withhold. I feel I am only doing a duty in publicly stating my gratitude for the benefits I have received from the use of your Vegetable Medicine which has given me ease and comfort after long years of grievous suffering.
I have been afflicted with a disease of the Blood called Scrofula, or a species of Leprosy, so called by the Doctors that could not cure me and they were many. My head and face was covered bules and scales, which every one in St. Ann's Market can testify; and my head was almost splitting with pain. But now, thank God, and Dr. Tumblety's herb medicine, I enjoy refreshing sleep and am quite a new being, being perfectly cured of a fearful disease which foiled all the Doctors for upwards of twenty years.
I do not doubt that your medical skill will be appreciated in this city, and I cordially wish you the success you so richly deserve.

THOMAS DAY.
Assistant Clerk of St. Ann's Market.

BAD CASE OF JAUNDICE.

To Dr. Tumblety - Dear Sir, - I have been a great sufferer for two years past with the Jaundice, a great portion of the time confined to bed. I tried four different Doctors, but did not get any better. I live in Ormestown, County Cherokee, and came to this city intending to remain a month or six weeks and give your treatment a trial; but now at one week's end I am so much improved that I am able to return home. I stopped with Mr. Bernard, St. Urbain Street, since I came to Montreal, who will testify to the truth of this statement.

MISS SARAH PEASE.
Lot 28, 1st Concession, Ormstown.
MONTREAL, Oct. 27, 1857.

A CASE OF DYSPEPSIA CURED.

MONTREAL, November 27, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been cured of Dyspepsia by the use of Dr. Tumblety's medicine in a short time.

CATHERINE MURPHY,
Ottawa Hotel,
Great St. James Street.

CONSUMPTION CURED!

MONTREAL, Nov. 17, 1857.

This is to certify that I, Francis Flynn, have been cured of Consumption, by Dr. Tumblety's treatment, in the course of a few weeks.

FRANCIS FLYNN,
No. 85, St. Gabriel Street
Witness - WM. PALMER

SCROFULA OR KING'S EVIL OF SIXTEEN YEARS' STANDING CURED!

MONTREAL, Nov. 14, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been troubled with Scrofula or King's Evil in my right leg for the last sixteen years. I tried some of our most eminent Physicians, [Dr. Godfrey, Crawford, Waller, &c.,] but received no benefit. I was persuaded to try the Indian Herb Doctor, Francis Tumblety, and in a very short time was perfectly cured.

JOHN DEREN
No. 13, St. Paul Street.

MONTREAL, Nov. 20, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been cured by Dr. Tumblety of severe pain in my back and another complaint that baffled the Doctors of this city.

FRS. BENOIT
Assistant Clerk of Bonsecours Market.

Last edited by Karen on Wed 22 Jun 2011 - 1:42; edited 2 times in total

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Wed 22 Jun 2011 - 0:27

Transcription of second column:

PALPITATION OF THE HEART CURED.

For a great many years I have been subject to a very violent Palpitation of the Heart. Tried a great many remedies, but the disease kept bad. Have been using Dr. F. Tumblety's Medicines for some weeks and feel myself perfectly cured.

MRS. ELIZA COCHRANE.
Langancheniere Street.
MONTREAL, Oct. 20, 1857.

WEAKNESS AND DEBILITY CURED.

To Dr. F. Tumblety - Dear Sir, - I came to your Office three weeks ago, with a hard cough of several years standing, also very great weakness and debility. I had been obliged to quit my employment. I am now able to return to my work, and feel like another man.

JOSEPH CRAIG.
Plasterer,
No. 47, Juge Street.
Montreal, Oct. 4, 1857.

ANOTHER CASE OF PALPITATION OF THE HEART CURED!

Dr. Tumblety has cured me of severe pain in my chest and Palpitation of the Heart of three years' standing.

Mrs. Mary Keough,
Wellington Street
Montreal, Oct. 31, 1857.

REMARKABLE CURE.

I, the undersigned, do certify that I have been sick for the space of five or six years, during which time I was in such a continual state of weakness from a very curious disease which had baffled all the Physicians far and near, till I tried Dr. Tumblety who has cured me.

MRS. McGIBBON.
No. 6, Bertholet, Montreal
Corroborated by MRS. RUTHVEN.
Montreal, Nov. 24, 1857.

CHRONIC RHEUMATISM CURED!

Montreal, Oct. 28, 1857.

I have been under Dr. Tumblety's treatment a few days for Chronic Rheumatism, a partial paralysis, accompanied with general debility, and feel myself a great deal better and improving every day.

WILLIAM CLAUDMAN,
Hotelkeeper
136, St. Mary Street,
Corner of Barclay Street

SORE EYES CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 1, 1857.

Dr. Tumblety,

This is to certify that I have been cured of sore eyes of nearly one year and a half standing by your invaluable remedies.

EMILY CALDWELL.

CATARRAH CURED.

MONTREAL, 28th Oct., 1857.

SIR, - I have been suffering for the last six months from Catarrah in the Head. The treatment I received from you has done me infinite service. I am effectually cured. I return you my sincere thanks.

I am, &c., yours obediently,
SAMUEL HATTON,
Police Constable.

Dr. F. Tumblety,
Montreal.

CHRONIC DYSPEPSIA AND LIVER COMPLAINT CURED.

To Dr. F. Tumblety,

Dear Sir, - I have been labouring under a Chronic Dyspepsia and Liver Complaint for the last fifteen years, and continued getting worse. Had resource to many physicians, both in New York and Montreal; and was told three years ago, by Dr. Sutherland of Great St. James Street, that my complaint was hereditary and could never recover; but twelve days ago I called on Dr. F. Tumblety, and voluntarily make this statement, that I am now a great deal better than I have been in the last ten years.
I am a resident of Saint John's for the last eleven years.

EDWARD GETTHINS.
Montreal, 27th Oct., 1857

CONSUMPTION CURED.

Thank God and Dr. Tumblety's medicines, I feel better today than I have for the last five years. I was certainly near my grave with Consumption - have been afflicted nine years. Only four weeks ago I was brought, with great difficulty, from Kingston, C.W., and carried up to the Doctor's office, being too weak too walk. Today I have walked from the Artillery Barracks to his office, in Great St. James Street, without experiencing the least difficulty. My husband is Sergeant in the Canadian Rifles stationed at Kingston.

MRS. MULLIN.

RHEUMATISM CURED!

This is to certify that I have been afflicted with Rheumatism these last twelve months, during which time I have applied to several Physicians, and also used Davis' Pain Killer, but got no relief till I applied to the Indian Herb Doctor Francis Tumblety, and through his skill and use of his Herb Medicines, I am now quite well, thank God.

JAMES GUHAGAN.
Dalhousie Street,
Conroy's Yard.
Montreal, Oct. 27, 1857

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Wed 22 Jun 2011 - 1:00

Transcription of third column:

REMARKABLE CURE BY DR. TUMBLETY OF MR. McDONALD, TOLL COLLECTOR, MONTREAL.

I am ready to declare upon oath that having intensely suffered for upwards of twelve years from Dyspepsia, Loss of Appetite, Nervousnessa and General Debility, Congestion, Constipation, Vomiting, Fainting, Exhaustion, Impaired Vision, Colic, Pain in the Breast, &c., after trying the most scientific Doctors of the present day, both in Canada and the United States, and particularly the Doctors of Montreal, without the least particle of relief, till I commenced to use Dr. Tumblety's Vegetable Medicine, which has restored me to perfect health.

JOHN McDONALD,
Toll Collector,
St. Lawrence Toll Bar,
Montreal, C.E.

BLINDNESS CURED!

I have been nearly blind for some time; also had a violent pain in my head. Dr. Tumblety's treatment has restored my sight and cured the pain in my head in less than three weeks.

MRS. WM. ROBINSON,
Mountain Street.
Montreal, Oct. 28, 1857.

FEVER AND AGUE CURED!

MONTREAL, Nov. 10, 1857.

I hereby certify that by occupation I am a Superintendent of Public Works. In August, 1855, I took the Fever and Ague which left great nervous and general debility, a weakness in the loins and hips, so much so that my leg would trail when I was walking. After spending not less than $100 in Doctors, &c., my prejudice gave way and I called on Dr. Tumblety, on the 29th of October, 1857. He at once told me he could cure me.
I have taken one bottle of medicine and a box of Pills, and am happy to say that I am so far restored as to be able to walk with the greatest ease; in fact I am a man with a new life and new hopes.

JOHN HARK.
Near Alma Terrace,
Point St. Charles.

FEMALE COMPLAINT CURED.

MONTREAL, 23rd Oct., 1857.

DR. TUMBLETY, -

Dear Sir, - Desirous of making known the benefit of your medicines, I beg to state, for your information, the following fact viz: -

I called at your office with my wife in the month of August last, who was affected with a disease peculiar to her sex, and it is with great pleasure I take this opportunity of acknowledging the great benefit derived from your Vegetable Medicine. She has been complaining for the last ten years, and never derived any benefit from her medical attendant, until she had used your medicine, and, within three weeks, her health improved rapidly, and thank God, she is nearly well.

WILLIAM FERGUSON,
Hawkesbury.

SCROFULA CURED.

MONTREAL, Nov. 14, 1857.

Dr. Tumblety,

DEAR SIR, - This is to certify that my son, age nine years, has been troubled with Scrofula on the head. I tried Dr. Tumblety, the Indian Herb Doctor, and in nine days he was perfectly cured.

A. FRAZER,
At Mr. Mischell's, Gas-Fitter,
Great St. James' Street.

PALPITATION OF THE HEART, SICK HEADACHE, &C., CURED.

MONTREAL, Nov. 13, 1857.

Dr. Tumblety,

Dear Sir, - In consequence of a severe cough, pain in my breast, palpitation of my heart, sick headache, and other kindred complaints I have been compelled to give up business, after trying all the Doctors without deriving the least benefit from their prescriptions, till hearing of the (God-send) Dr. Tumblety, whose medicines have cured me of the diseases above mentioned.

MRS. McKENZIE,
137 Dorchester Street.

MONTREAL, Dec. 16, 1857.

This is to certify that my daughter has been blind for seven years, notwithstanding she has been under Dr. Howard's treatment for a long time without receiving any benefit, till I brought her to Dr. Tumblety, who has cured her so that she can see to sew with candle light and walk round the streets without a guide. Prejudice, doubtless, will attempt to combat his skill, so likewise will jealousy and envy, but all the pains of human nature, whether moral or physical, must eventually fall before him.

ELIZABETH CONNOLLY,
Bonaventure Street.

MONTREAL, Dec. 11, 1857.

The bearer of this, Mrs. Connolly, has been well known to us as worthy and industrious, and may safely be relied upon.

IRA GOULD,
City Mills.

We, the undersigned, are witnesses to the facts and cure of Mrs. Connolly's daughter,

FLORENCE McDONNELL,
MRS. MURPHY,
MRS. GRACE,
THE MISSES ABBOTT,
45, St. Anzoine Street.

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Wed 22 Jun 2011 - 1:31

Transcription of fourth column:

FROM THE MONTREAL HERALD.

The peculiar circumstances in which the Doctor is situated forced upon him the necessity of placing the following certificates before a candid public, whose appreciation of his abilities, has opened to him a vast field of philanthropic usefulness and undeniable benefaction. There is indeed, as much room for reform in Medical Jurisprudence, as in the Science of Politics. "Facts are stubborn things." - read them: -

DISEASE OF THE BLOOD CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 2, 1857.

Dr. Tumblety,

DEAR SIR, - For the benefit of those afflicted with disease of the blood, I wish to make a statement of the effect of your treatment in my case. It is also an act of justice towards yourself. Your Herb remedies are the paragon of all that is great in medicine. They have cured me of ulcerous sores that had proved incurable.

AUGUSTUS GODETTE,
No. 12, St. Lambert Hill.

BLINDNESS CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 2, 1857.

I am ready to declare upon oath that I have been almost blind for upwards of a year, and suffered the most intense pain in my eyes. I have been completely cured in four weeks after I commenced using Dr. Tumblety's Medicine.

ELIZA BYRNES,
No. 7, Juror Street.

CONSUMPTION CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 1, 1857

Dr. Tumblety,
I have been troubled with Consumption and had tried all the Doctors in this city without receiving the least benefit, till I commenced using your Vegetable Medicine, which has cured me.

CHARLES VINCENT,
No. 203, St. Lawrence Main Street.

PARALYSIS CURED.

MONTREAL, Nov. 27, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been cured of Paralysis, of several years standing, by Dr. Tumblety.

MICHL. HURTHEN,
Walter Street, No. 5.

INFLAMMATION OF THE EYES CURED.

POINT ST. CHARLES, Dec. 1, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been cured of inflammation in my eyes, by Dr. Tumblety, in a few weeks after I put myself under his treatment.

MICHAEL BURNS.

FROM THE POSTMASTER OF CHAMBLY.

CHAMBLY, Nov. 9, 1857.

DEAR SIR, - The bearer, J. Rasco, is the person whom I represented to you as one incapable of paying for medical advice and treatment, and whom you have so very kindly consented to treat free of charge.
The other man, McGuire, is considerably better, and will soon I hope, be able to send you a favourable certificate.

I am, dear Sir,
Yours truly,
J. H. HICKEY.

Dr. Tumblety,
Montreal.

SALT RHEUM CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 1st, 1857.

DR. TUMBLETY, -
Dear Sir, - I have been afflicted with Salt Rheum for upwards of six years past, and I tried all kind of medical means, but found no relief. I gave up all hopes of finding relief until I tried Dr. Tumblety's medicine. To my great luck and entire satisfaction, his medicine has cured me effectually of that abominable disease - Salt Rheum.

CHARLES WALDRON,
Painter and Glazier,
No. 301 Lagaubetiere Street.

BAD COUGH CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 4, 1857.

DR. TUMBLETY, -
Dear Sir, - When I applied to you a few weeks ago, I was suffering from a severe cough and pain in my breast, and although I was fast hastening to fill a consumptive's grave your Herb Medicine cured my disease in a few weeks.

MARY DARCEY,
Griffintown,
Wellington Street.

RHEUMATISM CURED.

MONTREAL, 7th Dec., 1857.

This is to certify that I have been cured of Rheumatism in a few days, by the use of Dr. Tumblety's Vegetable Medicines.

ETIENNE BEAUVAIS,
Policeman No. 58,
No. 8, Drumond Street.

SCURVY CURED.

MONTREAL, Dec. 8th, 1857.

This is to certify that I have been cured of Scurvy in the eye, of several years standing, by Dr. Tumblety.

THOS. BELL.

NOTICE:

Persons residing at a distance, who may wish to consult the Doctor, can do so by letter (post-paid,) enclosing One Dollar as consulting fee, giving a history of their disease in plain English. All letters of this nature, enclosing the above amount, will be promptly attended to, and such advice given as may be depended upon.

P.S. - Letters should be addressed in a plain, bold hand to the "INDIAN HERB DOCTOR, F. TUMBLETY, 18, Great St. James's Street, Montreal.

FROM SENECAL & DANIEL STEAM PRESSES.

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down